Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Purple Mountains Majesty

I want to share a couple of pictures with y'all.  One from last night as Meister sat outside with the boys, moon-gazing with the telescope:


and one of the rising sun, filtering through my front window, as I was sitting in the office reading the news this morning:


It's a well known fact that I am often overwhelmed by the beauty that surrounds me.  Mostly while I'm outdoors, but obviously, like this morning, as I look out my window.  I've always said that I feel closest to my maker when I'm outside.  Whether I'm gardening in my yard:




Or taking a leisurely Sunday walk with my kids through the gully in our neighborhood:


I LOVE the nature that surrounds me!

Our very favorite place, in all of Utah, is Albion Basin, just a short 20 minute drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon.  We go camping there a lot.  Allow me to show you why:

Plain and simple, the wildflowers (which are at their peak of beauty mid to late July) and mountains are BREATHTAKING!!  It's hard not to be at one with nature and Heavenly Father while you're there.  It's so calm and serene.  You can scarcely take it all in.






This is the view of the Salt Lake Valley from the top of the canyon.  We are completely surrounded by beautiful, majestic mountains that have so much to offer in the way of FUN!!  Including the BEST SNOW ON EARTH in the winter time!


Camping is an all time favorite family outing.  Can you blame us?  Not only do we get to be surrounded by the beauty and sounds of nature, we can enjoy a nap in the hammock in all our filth!



Or......um......on a....ROCK?  Whatever!
Oh to be a kid and have the ability to sleep soundly any ole hard place you want!



Have oodles and gobs of fun with all of your cousins....
(This is a traditional picture we take EVERY year!)



Or even have a close encounter of the third kind!.  =) 


Never seen a bear though...WHEW!!!! Although we have had moose and deer tromp right through our campsite.

I can see those mountains, that I just gave you a tiny tour of, from my backyard!  Aren't they beautiful?           I took this picture a couple weekends ago during my daughter's 12th birthday party.




I'm linking up to Tracy's Nature Photo Party so all of those outside of Utah can share in the beauty and maybe make plans to visit us!!  You won't be sorry if you do.  =)





5 comments:

HeatherLovesClay said...

I lived "up north" for a good 6 years or so and I have never heard of Albion Basin. It is gorgeous! There is definately nothing like that down here in the Phoenix Metro area where we live now. And your yard is beautiful! Seeing all the beautiful yards on Tracy's party is making me anxious for the hubby to hurry up and graduate so we can get out of our apartment into home-ownership so I can have a puppy and a yard!

Loved your pictures!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Oh ma gosh-- adore ADORE the picture out your front window-- sooo beautiful.

So I guess I need to check out Albion Basin, huh? Beautiful!

p.s. I love your family tradition picture. That is so cool.

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

What an great post filled with beautiful photos. I am very envious of your nature surroundings. I live in a very ummm not so pretty place. You have such pretty flower gardens too. The sleeping on a rock pic cracked me up. We are going to Colorado this month. I hope to see some beautiful nature and mountains. Thanks so much for linking.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are stunning! I love the one of the bleeding hearts! My favorite flowers. Remind me of happy weekends with my grandmother. Thank you so much for posting!

Tonya said...

Great pictures!! It's REALLY pretty out there...I'm taking you up on that offer to come visit. I wish! :) Loved the window picture!!!!